TITHING | ALMS | GIVING
Many argue that tithing was an old covenant work, and is not necessary today. However, you will find in the Bible that tithing was actually around even before the old covenant. It was established from the beginning of time. The important things to remember about tithing are:
1. God commands it. In Malachi 3:10, God says, "bring the whole tithe into the storehouse". The storehouse refers to the place where you worship. The tithe is to be given to your home church, the place where you are spiritually fed. When you give to support charities and other ministries, you should be giving out of your offerings. The whole tithe belongs to the local church.
2. Tithing proves God's Word is true. There is only one place in the Bible where God' says to test Him, to put Him to the test in tithes and offerings, eventually you will see great blessings overtake your life, even to the point that you will see God open the windows of blessing upon you and your family.
3. God will rebuke the devourer. According to Malachi 3:11, when you bring God the whole tithe, and give offerings as He leads you, God will rebuke the enemy. When you become a follower of Jesus Christ, the enemy targets you and your finances. It's time to put God to the test, and watch God's blessings flow toward you.
4. Tithing teaches me to put God first. According to Deuteronomy 14:23, the purpose of tithing is to teach you to always put God first in your life. If God has our finances, then we know He has our hearts. If we refuse to tithe, we prove that He really isn't first in the first place.
5. Tithing is essential to spiritual growth. God tells us in Luke 16:11, "if therefore you have not been faithful in the use of money, how can you expect Him to entrust greater riches to you?" Many Christians don't grow spiritually, and remain spiritual babies because they are not faithful to obey God in the tithes and offering.